Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Good evening,

I'm writing for some information please.

I am an asylum refugee, not an EU with a limited permit in Italy. I'm getting married to my Italian partner.
We are planning to move to Germany for living and working there.

I would like to know what documents we need to have to show before our transfer and if I'll have to contact the German embassy in Italia to apply for a visa after the wedding?

Will we also need to demonstrate our maintenance and if yes, would you kindly give me more information about this?

How long can the procedure last from the moment we get married until we leave?

Thank you in advance,
S. Kolahdoozan
asked Jan 13 in Legal advice by Shadi k

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Shadi k,

Welcome and thank you for your contribution to the Wefugees community!

I'll have a look at your questions in order:

1. After your marriage, you will be able to live with your spouse in Italy with a residence permit. In order to move to Germany, a good option for you two is if both or one of you finds a job in Germany. Once you found work, you can apply for a working visa that allows you to move to Germany and live there (there is also an option for EU-citizens to apply for an employment seeking visa). Please note that only a few of the visa types enable the spouse to move with their partner, in case only one of you finds a job.

Have a look at this page on German residence permits:

2. Here is a full list of the required documents you will need:

  • "Two fully completed application forms. Printed and signed at the end.
  • Two passport photographs (see our page on photo requirements for more info as there are strict requirements).
  • Valid national passport (more information on passport requirements).
  • Proof of residence. Your driver’s license and/or utility bill in your name as proof of residence in the territory of the consulate where you plan to apply.
  • Health insurance. Compulsory certificate from German employer, valid from date of employment. If not already included in the compulsory health insurance a separate travel insurance has to be presented for the time frame from arrival in Germany until beginning of employment. If you are looking for great coverage for a good price, then your working health insurance awaits here!
  • An employment contract / binding job offer with details of gross annual salary and a detailed description of the employment in Germany.
  • Approval by the Federal Employment Agency (If applicable).
  • Curriculum Vitae. Your updated CV, which indicates your academic qualifications and your job experience.
  • Proof of Qualification. Diplomas, Certificates, Mark-sheets etc., or anything similar that proves your qualifications.
  • Personal covering letter explaining the exact purpose and duration of stay.
  • Proof of a clean criminal record.
  • Proof of paid visa fee. The visa fee for a German long-stay visa is €75.
  • Declaration of Accuracy of Information."


3. As the website I linked here states, the time it takes to receive a Germany long-stay work visa can be between one and three months from the day you applied. It's hard to say how long it will take exactly from the day you are married, because it may also depend on you finding a job/ vocational training, etc. 

Here are some helpful threads form our platform around the questions:

Moving from Italy to Germany as an acknowledged political asylum seeker

How can I move to Germany legally to live and work there? 

How to go to Germany with an Italian Carta di soggiorno?

And another website explaining visa regulations and options:

I hope these sources help you two. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any more questions!

All the best,


answered Jan 17 by Isa
2,423 questions
2,982 answers
131,697 users