Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hello!! My boyfriend is from Nigeria, he went to Italy seeking asylum but after two years had no answer so decided to come to Germany and apply for asylum here. I am German and Peruvian, was born and raised in Perú and moved to Germany a year ago and want to marry him so that he can finally get his papers. What is the procedure?
asked Jan 17, 2019 in Legal advice by Fabiola

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello @Fabiola,

Welcome to the Wefugees community and thank you for contributing to our platform :-)

First of all: if your boyfriend applied for asylum before, Germany would unfortunately recognize the other EU-country (in that case, Italy) as the responsible country for his asylum claim and request a "transfer" back there. Have a look at this thread from our platform for more information on Dublin: Does Dublin III effect me if I seek asylum in Italy?

Getting married is a separate process (so even if he was rejected, marrying you gives him the right to a residence permit in Germany). Please note that having a passport is one of the core requirements in order to get married in Germany. 

Here is an explanation and a list of what documents you need from our Wefugees Blog article "How to Marry":

You can also have a look at our platform for more information on the marriage process. To do so, simply use our search bar on the right side!

I hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to the community again if you have any more questions.

All the best and Good Luck,


answered Jan 21, 2019 by Isa
3,850 questions
4,616 answers
136,137 users