Hello there

If a child has been in Germany for 2 years, but kept getting subsidiary protection (in the case of a Syrian unaccompanied minor), despite wishing to reunite with his mother in Turkey.  Now the child is 18 and has refugee status.  Can they apply for family reunion given that they arrived in Germany when they were under 18? If this the case, could you recommend a good asylum lawyer to help with this in Mainz, in Germany.

Thank you!
asked Sep 21, 2018 in Asylum proceedings by SarahStory | 716 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Hi thanks for the question the group will fine an answer for you soon. Just that some of our experts like@thor @WKZB are busy for now Best regards Nelly
answered Sep 25, 2018 by Nelly Overcomer
0 votes

Hello @SarahStory

thank you for your question and we are sorry we could not get back to you sooner. 

In regards of the case you are outlining: 

With the refugee status in general: 

"Family members of persons entitled to protection also receive asylum.

The following are regarded as family members for the purposes of family asylum:

  • spouses and registered partners,
  • minor, unmarried children,
  • the parents of minor, unmarried persons for the purpose of care and custody,
  • other adults who have personal custody of minor, unmarried persons,
  • the minor, unmarried siblings of minors.

A precondition applying to spouses is for a valid marriage to have already existed in the country of origin, for the asylum application to have been filed prior to or at the same time as that of the person entitled to protection, and at the latest promptly after entry into the country, and for the entitlement to protection not to have been revoked.

This arrangement applies to persons entitled to protection to whom refugee protection or entitlement to asylum has been granted or who have received subsidiary protection. Persons are ruled out with regard to whom a national ban on deportation was found to exist during the asylum procedure."

#000000">In the specific case in Mainz I found the consultation office of caritas, there the person affected can get first free advice and a recommendation for a good lawyer in Mainz: 

#000000">Isabel Stipp


#000000">0 61 31 908 32 67

#000000">0 61 31 908 32 42


In general it is possible to be successful with the application even if the person, such as in your example is 18 years old and not a minor anymore. The application for the visa for his mother has to be argued for very well. 

I hope we could assist you with your question, if you have any further question we happy to help. 

Best regards, 


answered Oct 1, 2018 by Nilab
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,254 questions
6,246 answers
139,246 users