Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
about marriages made in other european union countries. please can i register my marriage conducted in denmark here germany. with my Italian 1951convention refugee travel document and my Italian 5 years permesso sorgiono (Residence Permit)  or do i have to bring my country's of origin passport? is my birth certificate also needed for the registration?
Lastly please can i request and get the German Residence Permits after successfully registering the Marriage here in Germany,without  needing to go back to my Country of Origin or my country of Residence to seek an additional Visa to enter Germany since i have an italian long-term Residence Permits. which allows me to enter the Federal republic of Germany and other EU countries multiple times without obtaining  an additional Visa
asked Jul 30, 2018 in Legal advice by Nelly Overcomer
edited Jul 31, 2018 by Nelly Overcomer
Hello Nelly. Maybe @WKZB1 can help you with this matter. He will take a look at your case tomorrow. Best regards, Thorgen

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Dear Nelly Overcomer,

A marriage conducted in Denmark is legally valid in Germany if the spouses fulfil the conditions for marriage according to their respective right of origin and the marriage has been entered into in a formally effective manner according to Danish law. In Germany there is no legal obligation to register such a marriage. However, it makes sense to have the marriage certificate authenticated by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Whether or not you can apply for a residence permit for family reunion to your wife in Germany, depends on the citizenship of your wife. Only if she is EU-citizen and enjoy the right to free movement (e.g. when she is employee with at least 10 working hours per week) in Germany, you can apply for the residence card (Aufenthaltskarte) at the Immigration Authority at the place of your stay in Germany. If your wife is German or Non EU-citizen, you have to leave Germany and apply for the visa for Family reunion in the German embassy in Italy or in your home Country.

Best regards

answered Aug 8, 2018 by WKZB1
Thanks WKZB1 can i also use a German Lawyer to request the Resident Permit without going back to Italy since i already Have an Italian Residence permits which also acts as an entry Visa to Germany. I think i already meet up with the other requirements. I have German Certificate A1 which i recently received today scoring 96 over 100 (Sehr gut)  and also my wife works Full time 8hrs daily. We will also be registering the Marriage and my Medebescheinigung next week. Can i then use a lawyer to request?
Dear Nelly Overcomer,

Only when your wife is an EU-citizen, you can apply for Aufenthaltskarte (residence card)  without leaving Germany. If she non EU-citizen or German, you have to leave Germany and apply for the visa for family reunion in the german embassy in Italy.

Best regards
3,971 questions
4,736 answers
136,363 users