Hello I will like to know if it's possible for me to Marry in Germany with my 5 years Asylum Resident Permit and the 1951 Convention Travel Document for Refugee. Also the Italian Carta Identità issued to Me in italy by the comune where I live it's an (identity Card showing Nationality)
 although Written in Italian, my state of Origin Certificate and Birth certificate. But my Birth Certificate is Attestation of Birth it Carries the same Power as the Birth Certificate it's also issued by the same Office.( NPC office Nigeria) its like that because Birth Certificates are only issued to people under 18 years old. The Biggest Problem I have is that I'm not sure that Nigeria issue Ehefähigkeitszeugnis (Marital Status certificate, I don't think they issue it in Nigeria, and also I will like like to know if I declare before an Italian Lawyer, Notary or Government related office that i'm single. If it will be accepted for Marriage in Germany
Hoping to hear from you soon. I Also have other questions but waiting to get an answer for this one first
Big thanks for the great work you guys are doing here
asked Jul 6, 2018 in Legal advice by Nelly Overcomer | 809 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Best answer
Hello Nelly,

nice to hear from you again.

In order to marry in Germany you need a valid passport. Your Italian residence permit and the travel document are most likely not going to be sufficient. You have to get in contact with Standesamt and ask them if the Carta Identità you mentioned is working as a replacement for your passport.

Regarding your certificate of birth: Foreign documents need to be translated into German before you submit them. The best way is to commission an officially recognized translator. Translations that have been made abroad might not get recognized by German authorities. Once again, it's probably best to ask Standesamt directly to get information about the documents they need.

If your home country does not issue a certificate of no impediment you can ask Standesamt for an exception. They will get in touch with the president of Oberlandesgericht (Higher Regional Court) that will decide on your case.

Best regards,

answered Jul 6, 2018 by Thor
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,132 questions
6,102 answers
139,112 users