Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
+2 votes

My question is "Can i study in German universities with Deluding or Aufenthaltsgestattung ?"

Best Regards,
asked May 8 in Education by heemsx (140 points)
edited May 8 by heemsx

2 Answers

+1 vote

Hello @heemsx

Welcome to the Wefugees community and thank you for your question.

Yes, you can study even if your asylum procedure is not finished yet or if you got Duldung.

You will be basically treated as an international student during the application procedure.

For extensive information on this topic and to get more detailed insights into it I recommend the following websites:

If you have further questions feel free to ask them here on Wefugees.

Best regards,


answered May 9 by Thor (62,450 points)

Hello @Thor, Thanks for your response, the thing is i asked my lawyer, he told me that i can not study if asylum procedure is not finished yet as well as if i got Duldung and i told him what will be the problem if the university accept me and BAföG cover me the coast. He replied me and said that the problem occur in immigration authorities (Auslanderbehorde), they will ban me sorta speak, now i'm confuse !!

Unfortunately I can only tell you what I found out through my research. Maybe @BildungsberaterIn of LernLaden Neukölln, Fadi @Arrivo-EMSA or @KironHelpDesk can tell you more about this.
+1 vote

Dear @heemsx,

It is possible in general to apply at German universities with a "Duldung", but most probably you won't be eligible for Bafög with the "Duldung". Keep in mind as well that if you get into university, that it won't affect your asylum procedure anyhow.

For further reading, check out the following link (especially page 9):

I hope this helps and brings some clarification!
All the best,

answered May 14 by KironHelpDesk (1,200 points)
Hello everyone.

Everything you said is correct. In general, it is possible for everyone to apply for all universities in Germany as long as you fulfill the requirements. So it is possible even if you still have the Aufenthaltsgestattung or Duldung. The only problem is what you mentioned in terms of the BAföG which you won't get with the Aufenthaltsgestattung and if you have a Duldung only after 15 months. It depends which university you are interested in studying but it makes sense to go to the international office or the refugee welcome/Integra team and get further information about your specific case.

Good luck to you.
Lernladen Neukölln
1,665 questions
2,255 answers
11,026 users