Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
0 votes
asked Mar 6 in Legal advice by Douglas Ogedegbe (110 points)
Hello @Douglas Ogedegbe - welcome to our community and thank you for your question. I will link @WKZB1 from Willkommenszentrum Berlin here. Maybe he can help you to find an answer to your question. Best regards, Thorgen

1 Answer

+1 vote
Hello @Douglas Ogedegbe,

As a father of an underage child who does not have the German citizenship, you can try to apply for a residence permit, but you´re not entitled to get it granted. The decision on your application is at the discretion of the immigration office.

The residence permit is usually granted only if the family unity between you, your child and his mother can only be conducted in Germany. It must be unreasonable for your child and his mother to follow you to your homeland. According to the Federal Administrative Court, the fact that a family member, in this case, your child and his mother, has a residence or settlement permit, doesn´t preclude a joint departure and doesn´t justify a ban on deportation.

So if you want to apply for a residence permit in this situation, you will need to mandate a lawyer to submit the application for you.

Best regards

answered 5 days ago by WKZB1 (500 points)
Thanks a lot for the immediate and great answer @WKZB1 !
Thanks very much
1,172 questions
1,681 answers
2,256 users