Hi, Im Malaysian woman planning to marry my fiancé (religious ceremony) who now hold Aufenthaltsgestattung. We are planning to get married as soon as we can. The problem is my fiancé does not have his passport with him. What are procedures that might occur in our documentation for marriage?
asked Feb 22, 2023 in Legal advice by Ella | 595 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Ella,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

I tried to give an answer on a very similar question here before. In Germany, it is not possible to simply "register" your religious marriage in order to make it official. You will need to marry at the registry office (Standesamt). For this, the civil servants most probably request your passports and other documents. You may see our blog on this topic for more details. Please note that it might be harmful for the pending asylum procedure if your partner is applying for a passport at his country of orgin's embassy in the meantime.

In any case, also don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Feb 25, 2023 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,328 questions
6,332 answers
139,336 users