Dear Weefuges community ,

I have a question that I need help!

I have a girlfriend who works hier and has a residence permit! I on the other hand am an asylum seeker , I am on the Second appeal but am also about to finish my Ausbildung in August!

We have been dating for three years and we would like to get married next year !

My Question is eventhough my Asylum seeking process failed , if I finish my Ausbildung and get a job ! What kind of visa Status will I get ? Will my Status allow us to get married in Denmark ?

For any Answer am grateful

Thank you

asked Jan 19, 2023 in Asylum proceedings by Jeff | 125 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Dear @Jeff,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

Whether you can get married in Denmark will depend on your status. In case your asylum application gets rejected and you eventually, for instance, may be granted a so-called "Ausbildungsduldung" (as with a "Duldung" in general), you are not allowed to leave (or better to say to return to) Germany. However, maybe its possible for you as well to get married in Germany? Please check this thread and the here linked blog for more information on the topic "marrying in Germany".

Assuming that you are able to obtain a residence permit (i.e. according to section 25a or 25b of the German Residence Act), you should be able to travel and therefore most probably (given that you hold the required documents) also to get married in Denmark.

I would recommend you to get some individual support and advice in a migration counselling office to discuss your options and next steps.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions as well.

All the best,


answered Jan 22, 2023 by Meike
0 votes
Thank you sooo much Meike for your Answers.

If I understood correctly, if I finish my Ausbildung in August and get a job , I won’t be entitled to a residence permit According to paragraph 18a, but I will be given a permit according to section 25a und 25b ?
answered Jan 22, 2023 by Jeff

Dear @Jeff

Thank you for your reply! 

No, the 25a and 25b were just examples (I gave/linked some more information on their requirements here: https://***.wefugees.de/815032/there-relevant-duldung-holders-having-stayed-germany-years). In your case, a residence permit according to section 18a can also be possible. For the residence permit according to 18a applies the same in regards to traveling as I explained above when holding a residence permit in general (not “Duldung”) :-) 

I hope this helps to clarify! 

Best wishes, 


Hallo Meike :)

Thank you so much for replying.

Now I got clarity

best Wishes

mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,143 questions
6,121 answers
139,118 users