thanks for reaching out to us and also a warm welcome from me.
The visa application must be submitted to the German foreign mission (embassy or general consulate) in the country of origin before your family enters Germany.
Please submit the following documents to the embassy:
- national passport
- passport photographs
- marriage certificate
- birth certificate of your son
- copy of the ID cards of the family members.
- certificate of German (basic A1-level according to the CEFR)
- proof of the custody for the child (joint or at least from your wife)
Depending on each individual case, further documents may be required.
There are many general preconditions to be met, the most important are:
- Ensured livelihood, i.e. your income should be high enough to cover all the living cost for three persons (which you can prove by submitting your work contract or the last three payslips and a confirmation of your employer that the employment has not been terminated))
- Ensured living space (which you can prove by submitting your lease
- no convictions and reasons for expulsion/entry ban for the spouse
- the marriage must be legally valid in Germany
If your wife and son already have a residence permit in another EU-country, they can come to Germany without a visa and you won't have to undergo the procedure depicted above.
I hope my answers were useful for you. Please feel free to contact us again if you have further questions.