Hi. :)
I have a bachelor degree from a university in my home country and it's so important to me to continue my studies.
If I become a refugee in a country in Europe, can I apply for a master degree in another country in EU (I want to go to Germany as I love the country for many reasons), or I can only continue my studies in the country I've been accepted as a refugee?
If I can apply for a university in another country, should I wait for a specific period of time (to be able to leave the country, etc.) ?
asked Jun 14 in Education by Mahnik22
No you cant study in another country as a refugee.
Dear @Mahnik22, welcome to Wefugees and thanks for reaching out to us. I'm going to link our dear colleagues and experts @mbeon-fardeen & @mbeon-Ruth here and hope they can help you with an answer. All the best, Julia.

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Mahnik22,

thank you for sharing your question with the Wefugees Community.

Unfortunately, during the asylum procedure and after you get a protection in Germany, for example, a refugee protection, you are not allowed to study abroad. If you stay out of Germany for more than 6 months, your residence permit will be deleted from the system. If you go out of Germany in order to start a school or a university education, your residence permit gets invalid as soon as you leave Germany. However, in some exceptional cases, you can get the permission of your respective Foreigners' Office in Germany; for example, to attend only one or two guest semesters at a foreign university.

Here, you can read more about it:


It is worth mentioning that there are more than enough fields of studies, study opportunities and universities in Germany, and one may not need to leave Germany to study abroad and risk his/her residence permit in Germany. I hope you have got your answer.

For further questions, you may have a look at my profile, and see how you can get directly in touch with me.

Best wishes,

Fardeen Noori

answered Jun 15 by mbeon-fardeen
Thank you very much for your answer, @mbeon-fardeen!
You are welcome my dear colleague @Julia_Wefugees
Dear Fardeen, thank you for your help. Actually, if I can reach Germany I won't want to leave it to study in another country because I actually want to study there. I kinda wanted to know if this rule applies to other countries in EU. I am worried that if I can't reach Germany and go to another Europian country to be a refugee there instead, I won't be able to come to Germany to study.
Dear @Mahnik22, if you stay as a refugee in one of the other EU countries and want to study in Germany a similar rule applies. You are not allowed to come as a refugee or during the asylum procedure to study in Germany. Only after you get an EU Permanent residence permit, or the citizenship of the other EU country, you can come under certain conditions to Germany in order to work or study. Here you can watch, how you can then come with an EU Permanent Residence Permit to Germany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUIEamNCZi8
Thank you for you answer again. So this means there's no way to study outside of that country before one gets their permanent residence permit, even with a scholarship or something? (Like a scholarship for refugees, etc.)
(Sorry for asking too much, I just try to make sure what will me condition be)
You are welcome. No, unfortunately not.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,542 questions
5,443 answers
137,912 users