Hello good people of wefugees! I am a non EU international student (masters) in Germany. Me and my German girlfriend have decided to get married soon. We both are students and working part time. After getting married how do I change my visa to family visa? What is the prerequisite in my case? Is there any minimum salary requiremnet or do we have to work full time? Any guideline will be really helpful.
Thanks in advance for all the help!
asked Jun 17, 2021 in Legal advice by Ryou | 680 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Best answer

Dear @Ryou,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

If you are married to a German citizen, your application for the residence permit according to section 28 of the German Residence Act is not dependend on your or your spouse's financial situation. Please see a list for the requirements here, for example.

However, the authorites may ask you to apply for the respective visa at the German embassy in your country of origin.

Am I right on this and do you like to add anything dear @mbeon-fardeen?

All the best,


answered Jun 20, 2021 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,255 questions
6,245 answers
139,247 users