Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hello. My husband and I (also male) are both non-EU citizens. I have been a student in Germany since 2016. Although we have been a couple for nearly 2 decades, we only got married in Denmark in 2017 (as marriage is a requirement for the family reunification visa). Our 2 attempts for the family reunification visa have been rejected. The reason for this has been that we got married AFTER I started my degree program in Germany. We have been living in his country (which criminalizes same-sex marriage), and his tourist visa to visit my country just before I started my studies in Germany was rejected (it has since been approved). So we had no option to get married BEFORE I started my studies. We can easily 'prove' our relationship before marriage (and were even granted permanent residency as a couple in Australia over a decade ago). Is this the sort of thing we can do as part of a remonstration? Alternatively, I completed my MA and started a new degree program (PhD) since I started. Why wouldn't they count that as 'starting' a new study program? This is very frustrating as one of the most important reasons for choosing Germany for my studies was because I would be able to sponsor my spouse to join me. Any advice or shared experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
asked Oct 30, 2020 in Education by komang78

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3,836 questions
4,596 answers
136,093 users