Hi everyone

I want to marry my gf (of 10 years ) who is living in austria (who is not living in a camp - and has not find a job yet )and  live with her in austria. (her asylum has been accepted and granted a silver passport) (she can fly to another country like Turkey or uae by her passport and we can marry in another country but i can not go to austria and marry her in there.)

so if it is possible how we should marry ? In our home country embassy in third country ? (it is not possible for her to fly to our homeland country.)

Anyone can help me to what should i do and do i get the visa? And what documents we need to do this.

 ( i cant get the visa by my self and can not fly to austria and marrying her  because of not having a visa.)

asked Jan 17, 2019 in Asylum proceedings by hagh12345

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @hagh12345,

Welcome to our community and thank you for sharing your situation with us!

As you already mentioned, it is indeed impossible to get married in your home country, as she could lose her residence title in Austria if she returns. 

If you are planning on getting married in Turkey, and your girlfriend has a passport that allows her to travel, then you need to take certain preparations. I'm not an expert on marriage, so please make sure you check all the legal regulations. Here is a website I found listing the process for "foreigners": http://www.allaboutturkey.com/marriage_foreigners.htm

Especially this paragraph is important: 

"Foreigners (or local people) who want to marry in Turkey must provide their marriage licences issued by the proper Civil Status Register of his/her own country and proove that they're not already married at the moment. Otherwise, Turkish relevant authorities do not conduct these marriages. This means that the married couples cannot again be married in Turkey under the Turkish law."

Please have a look at previous cases from our platform, where more details on what to do and who to contact is discussed: 

Marrying a refugee in Turkey - what to do first and can we travel afterwards?

I want to marry my gf she from Finland and I am illegal in Turkey? What can we do?

What's the best way for me (German) to get married to my Syrian boyfriend, who is staying in Turkey without a permit?

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions or need further assistance with anything.

Kind regards,


answered Jan 21, 2019 by Isa
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,313 questions
5,157 answers
137,056 users