Hello. I have a question. I am currently a student in Austria (from Kazakhstan) . So it means I have a student visa. My boyfriend is an Asyl. He has documents. We want to get merried here in Austria. But what kind of documents will I get from it? Also Asyl? The problem is that I can't renew my visa. So will this marriage help us to keep me with him together? If somebody have any ideas about it I'm looking forward to hear them...thank you.
asked Aug 19, 2018 in Legal advice by Yasmn | 1,183 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello @Yasmn

Welcome to the Wefugees community and thank you for your question.

Marrying your boyfriend won't get you a residence permit based on asylum. You'd have to go through an asylum procedure to get that.

And I also doubt that marriage alone is going to help you to stay in Austria once your visa expires because he is not an Austrian citizen. However, if his asylum procedure ends with a positive result and he receives a residence permit, you might be able to live together through family reunification (Or did he already get his residence permit? It's not quite clear in the initial question).

You will find extensive information about the family reunification procedure following this link:


Best regards,


answered Aug 20, 2018 by Thor
Hello Thorgen,
Thank you for your answer.
Yes he already has his residence permit.
So you are talking about the family reunion as a red white red card?

Hello @Yasmn

Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with the Austrian asylum system. That's why I don't know what residence title your fiancé has gotten (red-white-red card or a long-term residence title for third-country nationals or something else), respectively what residence title you will get once you do the family reunification. Maybe it's best if you go to a counselling center in Austria that can tell you more about the procedure. If you tell us where you are living, we can help you to find adresses and contact information.

Best regards,


mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,328 questions
6,332 answers
139,336 users