Am currently holding a schengen visa and my fiance is a German. We have now agreed to marry but he's not working. He's depending on social. If I travel to meet him in Germany for our marriage, will I be given staying permit even though he's not working?
asked Aug 4, 2018 in Legal advice by Joycebaby | 787 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

Hello @Joycebaby

Nice to hear from you again.

As long as your future husband is German (or a EU citizen) you have a right to get a residence permit after getting married to him. It doesn't matter in this context that he is unemployed.

Keep in mind that you have to get a so-called "Visum zur Eheschließung" (visa to get married). It's not allowed to marry in Germany if your visa wasn't issued for this specific purpose (e.g. a tourist visa is not sufficient).

Best regards,


answered Aug 6, 2018 by Thor
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,255 questions
6,245 answers
139,246 users