Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hello everyone. I would like to know if it's possible to marry my girlfriend (Italian citizen) before going to the commission. And if yes do I still need to go to the commission after that? I am a Gambia asylum seeker in Napoli, Italy. I am currently teaching English as a second language to Italians. Thanks.
asked Apr 25, 2018 in Asylum proceedings by Xyxccttuhjio

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello Yan

Welcome to our community and thank you for your question!

In general it is possible for asylum seekers to marry if you can provide the required documents.

To get some more information about the procedure, please check out these threads here on Wefugees:

If you manage to get married to an EU-citizen, you can apply for a residence permit at the Italian aliens department afterwards. As soon as you received the residence permit you can withdraw your asylum application. I would advise you to stay in the asylum procedure until then because otherwise your stay in Italy would be "illegal". If you withdraw the asylum application before receiving a residence permit you might get deported in the meantime.

Best regards,


answered Apr 25, 2018 by Thor
Thanks so much. This platform has really helped.
I'm always happy to hear such positive feedback! :)
3,663 questions
4,407 answers
135,623 users