Hey all,

A friend of mine I met in Bologna, Italy just received word that his application for asylum has been accepted, and he wants to move to The Netherlands, as work in Italy is hard to come by. I heard somewhere that you need to stay in the country of arrival for another two years or so after receiving your residence permit, and I promised him I'd try to find out if this is true.

However, the website of the European Commission turns out to be one of the most useless websites in existence, and I can only find a vague reference to this fact (?) on the Dutch immigration service's website. Can anyone confirm/deny this, and maybe post a link that clarifies this? I speak Dutch, English, German, and Italian, so a website in any of those languages would be great.

Thanks in advance!

asked Jan 18, 2018 in Legal advice by Pieter

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Hello @Pieter

Welcome to our community and thank you for your question!

According to "Flüchtlingsrat Niedersachsen" an acknowledged refugee is allowed to move to another EU member state after 5 years of lawful residence in his/her reception country.

Source (German): https://www.nds-fluerat.org/leitfaden/10-fluechtlinge-mit-aufenthaltserlaubnis-nach-25-abs-1-oder-abs-2-satz-1-alternative-1-aufenthg/11-2-wohnen-umziehen-und-reisen/

Here you can find the law that they refer to (English):


Best regards,
answered Jan 22, 2018 by Thor
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,363 questions
5,223 answers
137,301 users