Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hey there,

My boyfriend is an Asylum seeker from Libya in Germany.  He does not have a passport and is still in the process of getting refuge (He has a Duldung). He is in that process for over 2 years now and it does kit look like he will get refugee.  Regardless of that I love him and want to marry him. Do you know if that is somehow possible?  for.example with less papers in some European country?  I know he is not allowed to travel but hopes aren't high he'll ever be. And since I will be studying outside Germany I would like to have him with me legally married.. Thanks so much for answers and reading

asked Jan 18, 2018 in Legal advice by Freddy
I know nothing of German law, but maybe some of the answers in this post can help you?

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Hello @Freddy

Welcome to our community and thank you for your question.

@Pieter already linked a useful thread here on the community that gives you an overview of the required documents to get married.

As it's stated there, both of you will have to provide a proof of identity (like a passport). I'm afraid that without any document like that you won't be able to marry. It might be that some registry offices (or registry offices in other countries) accept an expired passport or other types of documents instead. But he would have to get there first, which he isn't allowed at the moment as you said.

I know that this sounds disencouraging to you, but even if your fiancé was allowed to travel, I can't see a way for you to get married without the required documents.

Best regards,
answered Jan 22, 2018 by Thor
3,165 questions
3,943 answers
134,569 users