I am looking for marriage law in Germany. I am asylum seeker in Germany and my girlfriend is from Poland . She is not living in Germany but we r together from 3 and half years.she comes to Germany because I don't have permission to travel Poland.  My asylum application was rejected and I had an appeal option so I have done this appeal and it's in progress. I am very affraid what should I do ?
Now my girlfriend and I want to get marriage in Germany .
My question is that during asylum application is it easy to get marriage?
asked May 2, 2017 in Legal advice by Kikia | 5,943 views
Thanks you very much for the information

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+5 votes
Hello Kikia,

welcome to Wefugees and thank you for your question.

To marry in Germany you need to provide a number of documents. These include a passport, a birth certificate and a certificate of no impediment (to attest that you are eligible to marry and most significantly, to proof that you are not married or not married anymore). You may need to provide further documents according to the marriage laws of your home country. Moreover, documents from some countries need to be certified by the German Embassy prior to marriage. So, where are you from?

Yet according to Niedersachsen Flüchtlingsrat e.V., only imminent marriages lead to a suspension of deportation. To proof that the marriage will be consummated soon, you need to provide a document from the register office and proof that the marriage will take place in the near future. Also, there might be checks whether it is a marriage of convenience, which means that you might be interviewed and asked about your relationship as well as visits to your home.

Source: https://***.nds-fluerat.org/leitfaden/8-perspektiven-nach-negativem-abschluss-eines-asylverfahrens/62-aufenthaltsrecht-aus-anderen-gruenden/ (in German)

I am not sure to what extent it matters that your partner has Polish citizenship and does not live in Germany. However, once you are married to a EU citizen, you are able to move and work freely in the EU and hence in Germany.  

I will link your question to our lawyers @Marcel and @Steven , who can help you with their expertise.

answered May 3, 2017 by Baris
Thank you @Baris
+5 votes
Hi Kikia,

generally it is possible to marry, yes. As Baris points out you need all these documents. And they may also enquire whether it is a fake marriage or not.

If you succeed you will get a permission to stay probably for one year. Then they may enquire again whether you really live together. Therefore it is important both for the application process now and later that you both have the same address where you live together. You will not be allowed to travel to Poland for more than 1/2 a year. It may be a good option to move to a place togehter in Germany therefore
answered May 4, 2017 by Marcel
Thanks for the message. When I get marriage certificate then I can't travel to Poland on that marriage certificate with my future wife ?
no, the marriage certificate only entitles you to get a permission to stay in Germany. With your German permission to stay you will only be allowed to stay for 3 months in Poland (within a period of half a year). You will not be allowed to work in Poland.
Hope this helps you @Kikia
I want to know that at the moment my girl friend is not living in Germany but she comes every month to meet and does it matter that she does not live in germany and  I can get marriage with her and after marriage we live together in Germany ?
Hello @Kikia - we discussed the topic of how an asylum seeker and a non-German can get married in Germany quite recently. Please, follow this link: https://***.wefugees.de/k/questions/2145
What if a filipina working in poland and have a refugee boyfriend in germany are they allowed to get married??? What are documents needed???
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,929 questions
5,903 answers
138,858 users