is it possible to change my Aufenthaltstitel 16A ABS.1 to a work permit without having to finish the Ausbildung? i went to Germany from Ukraine after the war and i am a non EU citizen holding an Egyptian passport and currently living in Bottrop, NRW.

i hold a bachelor in Aircraft Maintenance engineering from Ukraine but i only have an electronic copy of it at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

asked Nov 5, 2023 in Work by Ahmed313 | 781 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hi @Ahmed313

Yes, it is possible if it is a permit for qualified work. If you **** at the section 16A, Abs. 1 in the German Aufenthaltsgesetz, you can read clearly in which cases it is allowed to change permits:

Während des Aufenthalts nach Satz 1 darf eine Aufenthaltserlaubnis zu einem anderen Aufenthaltszweck nur zum Zweck einer qualifizierten Berufsausbildung, der Ausübung einer Beschäftigung als Fachkraft, der Ausübung einer Beschäftigung mit ausgeprägten berufspraktischen Kenntnissen nach § 19c Absatz 2 oder in Fällen eines gesetzlichen Anspruchs erteilt werden.

 The phrase in bold refers to qualified work.

The profession of engineer is one of the ‘regulated’ professions in Germany, like doctor, lawyer, architect. This means that to work as an engineer here, you need to have your qualification recognised. The office responsible is the regional authority of Münster (as you are resident in Bottrop) and here the process is explained (in English via online translation):


They need to see your original degree as well as your grades during your studies, in addition to other information.

The alternative is to **** for a position where a university degree is required but it is not specifically the job title of engineer. However, if changing to a work permit the Ausländerbehörde may still need to see your original degree.



answered Nov 10, 2023 by mbeon-Éanna
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,292 questions
6,289 answers
139,284 users