I am an asylum seeker, and I wish to marry a Polish citizen. All necessary documents are prepared, except for an allowance from Poland confirming she can marry abroad. Poland requires proof of my legal status to issue this document. Which document should I request that can be recognized in Poland as an asylum seeker in Germany?
asked Oct 19, 2023 in Other Questions by drekko | 757 views
Hallo, Talking from experience having a non marriage certificate doesn't require any proof of identity from you. She is the one who want to marry you hence the Polish registry office gives her that document. Once you have the document you have to have it translated to German. If you still carry Aufenthaltsgestattung you will marry only in Germany because you can't travel outside Germany. Again my brother think twice because marrying a non German citizen comes with its huge disadvantages unless you plan to relocate later to Poland. All the best

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @drekko,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar at all with the marriage requirements in Poland/or for Polish citizens. However, the only document that I can think of as a proof for your legal status as an asylum seeker (you are still in the procedure, right?) is the so-called "Aufenthaltsgestattung". Are you currently holding one? Sometimes, authorities issue papers like "Ankunftsnachweis" if the asylum application is not formally submitted (yet).

Maybe other community members can share more experience or details. For general information on the marriage procedure in Germany (including the required documents), you may check our blog on this topic.

In any case, please don't hesitate to get back to us with any fruther questions.

All the best,


answered Oct 22, 2023 by Meike
Thank you so much, This is absolutely as helpful as it gets. Thanks for the advice too - I lived in Poland for 5 years and speak intermediate Polish, so I wouldn't mind relocating. But what disadvantages are we talking about mate?
There is no disadvantages whatsoever as Poland and Germany are both EU countries. After marriage,  you can decide to settle in one country
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,262 questions
6,259 answers
139,252 users