Hello, I am currently in Germany studying masters and I have a type D student visa and I am in my first semester. I wanted to ask: if I found a full-time job and I meet all the company’s requirements, is it possible/legal to switch from a student visa to a work visa? Or do I have to go back to home country and apply? Keeping in mind that I will drop out of university if there is a possibility for the switch. Thank you in advance!
asked Mar 6, 2023 in Legal advice by Julie | 4,091 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hi @Julie,

It is possible to change from a student visa to a work visa, even if you drop out of university. The German government changed the regulations on such cases as part of a law it passed called the Fachkräfteeinwanderungsgesetz in 2020.

Please bear in mind that a work visa can only be issued for job that require a qualification, generally a university degree or formal vocational training (Ausbildung). If you have a foreign qualification, it may need to be recognised. For some nationalities there are exceptions to this rule.



answered Mar 15, 2023 by mbeon-Éanna
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,328 questions
6,332 answers
139,336 users