I hold a France refugee residence permit. This summer i moved with our child  to Switzerland through family reunification, my husband holds a b pass (refugee) in Switzerland. I wanted to ask if I can renew my travel document of France even if we don’t live in France now ? Thank you in advance .
asked Oct 2, 2022 in Asylum proceedings by Khando | 366 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

Dear @Khando,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

As the platform and our experts are based in Germany, we mainly share information and advice about procedures and rules in Germany. 

However, I tried to make some research. I assume that you need to apply for a new travel document at the SEM in Switzerland. I doubt that the French authorities will extend a document for someone who lives in another country now. 

German authorities, for instance, wouldn’t feel responsible for you anymore either. I would recommend you to contact the SEM to be sure.

Are you not holding a Swiss residence permit yet? I believe that your French residence permit will also expire if you live somewhere else now! Maybe you **** for a refugee counseling office to get some support.

Please also don’t hesitate to get back to us with any further questions or if you need help with finding a counseling office in your area.

All the best,


answered Oct 4, 2022 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,292 questions
6,289 answers
139,284 users