my name is prince i got married to a eu citizen in April in 2017 and in june in 2020 she apply for a divorce i have live here in Germany since the marriage i am curious if this have a negative impact on  my resident permit of 5 years.i just got a post of the foreign office to explain my current situation. please in need advise and help

Thank prince
asked Nov 24, 2021 in Legal advice by kingpico | 491 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Dear @kingpico,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us!

We had a similar question on this platform before. Please follow this link to check it. As I mentioned there as well, I assume that you may be able to apply for an independent residence in Germany as you were married for more than 3 years. But let us ask our experts @mbeon-ruth and @mbeon-fardeen, too. Dear colleagues, can you give us more information on this question?

All the best,


answered Nov 27, 2021 by Meike
0 votes

Hi @kingpico,

I think Meike is totally right. According to § 3 (4) of the freedom of movement act can be entitled to an independent residence permit in case you get divorced after 3 years marriage.

see here https://***.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_freiz_gg_eu/englisch_freiz_gg_eu.html#p0036

Please note that you have to meet further requirements wich are described in this paragraph (have work, be a jobseeker for not more than 6 months, have shared custody for a minor child).

I recommend you make an appointment with an MBE-advisor nearby. He/she can help you write a letter to the foreigners office or call them. Just google "Migrationsberatung" and your place and you'll certainly get several hits.



I hope my answers were helpful. I'm a consultant at the app “mbeon” and I‘ll be glad to help you over a longer period of time. Mbeon is an online advice for migrants via the mbeon app, which you can install on your smartphone for free. Download it from App Store or Google Play Store. ” and get confidential one-to-one advice in a secure virtual space without other people reading our conversation. Further information: ***.mbeon.de.

answered Nov 29, 2021 by mbeon-Ruth
Thanks you for your response i appreciate so the separation don't not really count ?i try finding you on mbean but couldn't get you my user name is kingpico0147 we be glad if you can get through to me thanks appreciate
Thank you so much for your quick reply and the valuable information, dear @mbeon-Ruth! Much appreciated :-) Best, Meike
Hi @kingpico, open mbeon-App, search for Euskirchen or postal code 53879, Mrs Schaefer. Then you should find me. I cannot contact you via the app.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,014 questions
5,977 answers
138,972 users