Belgium deported me and gave me a 3 year ban in Schengen zone, my wife has German permit of residence and she also works there and rents a home. I want to know what are my chances to get family reunion with her as i want to live with her.
asked Oct 3, 2021 in Legal advice by eagleman | 1,264 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Best answer

Hello eagleman

you have to clear this question with Belgium because they made the entrance ban to EU and only they have right to cancel it or reduce the period of time. Germany can't cancel the ban and won't give you a visa for family reunion or anything else before it is eliminated.

That means that you should apply in Belgium, probably in the last responsible migration service (like Ausländerbehörde in Germany) for cancelling the ban or at least reducing the time. At the same time you must clear the question of costs of deportation and pay them. Normally, it is the condition on which Belgium would cancel the ban. You should probably make an application for setting the amount of these costs and, if these are to high to pay at once, ask for an agreement to pay in installments. As far as I know, German authorities agree sometimes that people pay a half, for example, and the other half in installments, when they are already here. But some people must pay everything. How it is in Belgium, no idea.

You should also check, if you really fulfil all requirements for a German visa for family reunion (after cancelling the ban). In most cases you must have at least A1 certificate. You must have enough money as a couple not to ask for any help from the state and enough living space for 2. Perhaps there is something else, it can depend on the kind of your wife's residence permit.

answered Oct 19, 2021 by Alla_fka
Thank you so much for all the detailed information! So glad to have you with us dear @alla_fka! :-)
+1 vote

Dear @eagleman,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and sorry for the rather late reply.

Your case sounds quite complicated to me. Even though we discussed a similar question in this thread before, I could not find information on the shortening/lifting of a re-entry ban which was initially imposed by another Schengen state. Questions I have in mind are: Is Belgium also asking respective people to cover the costs of their deportation? Which authority (in which country) is responsible for a potential shortening or lifting of the ban? etc.

I will link our dear expert @alla_fka here. Maybe she can give some further information. However, I would definitely recommend you and your wife to get support by a lawyer here in Germany as well.

All the best,


answered Oct 14, 2021 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,326 questions
6,321 answers
139,330 users