Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us again.
I will paste a general overview of the requirements for the permanent residence permit here again: (source:https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/dienstleistungen/service.871055.php/dienstleistung/121864/en/)
- Please file an informal written application. Please enclose with your application copies of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
- Your application can also be checked if you make an appointment to extend your residence permit. Please bring the required documents with you to the appointment.
- Possession of a residence permit for 5 years - The residence permit must be issued for
If your residence permit has been issued on humanitarian grounds, periods of asylum proceedings may be counted. The periods in which you only hold a certificate of suspension of deportation do not count as periods of stay.
- cohabitation with a foreign member of the family,
- gainful employment,
- independent or freelance activities, or
- on humanitarian grounds.
A permanent settlement permit cannot be issued to persons who hold a residence permit issued on humanitarian grounds pursuant to § 24, § 25 subs. 4 s. 1, § 25 subs. 4a s. 1 or § 25 subs. 4b s. 1 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) [German Residence Act].
- Sufficient command of the language
You must have an adequate command of the German language (level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
If you were in possession of either a residence permit or a residence authorisation on 31/12/2004, you only have to demonstrate basic knowledge of the German language (level A 1) to be granted a permanent settlement permit.
- Basic knowledge of the legal and social system and living conditions in Germany
- Secured means of support from own income
You may not receive social assistance benefits from a Jobcenter or the Social Welfare Office (e.g. scale-II unemployment benefits or income support).
The proofs of income may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner in the event of marital or civil partnership cohabitation.
- Old-age provision
You must furnish proof of having paid compulsory or voluntary contributions to the statutory German Pension Fund for at least 60 months, or of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance company.
The proofs of entitlement to pension schemes may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner in the event of marital or civil partner-ship cohabitation.
- Sufficient health insurance- Secured means of support include an adequate health insurance for you and the members of your family:
- If you have a statutory health insurance, you are adequately insured.
- If you have a private health insurance, please make sure that type and scope of your health insurance are adequate.
- For more information, please read the Leaflet on the Health Insurance (under “Forms").
- No criminal record
Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
From what I understand, your stay in Germany is "long enough" as you applied already for asylum in 2014 and you also meet the language requirements. However, in contrast to "recognized refugees" , you unfortunately will have to be completely independent from social money (here: your Jobcenter support) and you need to have contributed to the Old-age provision system for at least 60 months. Maybe you can contact a migration counselling office. They could support you in calculating your income/expenses and might also be able to advise you on how to get independent from Jobcenter support.
Am I right with my explanations and/or is there anything you would like to add, dear @mbeon-fardeen or @manrhei-mbeon?
In any case, please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.
All the best,