Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hey Everyone!

So here is the situation. I am Canadian, my almost Husband (July 17th) is a Syrian refugee here in Germany with permanent residency. We are currently living in Germany but SO READY to go back home to canada. The thing is I am so confused by everything. he has a blue card but no valid passport from syrian because hes been here for like 5 years. So what the hell do we do?! we will apply for his Canadian Family thing and go back together. Can they give him a travel document that allows him to travel internationally? or what takes place?
asked Jun 7 in Home & Living by Lindsoo1

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Lindsoo1,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

I am not sure what exactly you are referring to when you mention the blue card. Does your partner hold a "Blue Card/EU", which is granted to highly qualified people for job purposes (please see more information here) or does he hold a so-called "Niederlassungserlaubnis" (permanent residence permit) and the blue refugee passport?

With the blue refugee passport he can travel internationally to every country which signed the Geneva Refugee Convention (as a recognised refugee he is not even allowed to ask the Syrian embassy to issue a national passport for him) - may need to apply for visas though. This always depends on the requirements of that country. I would recommend you to contact the Canadian embassy in order to get reliable and detailed information.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further question.

All the best,


answered Jun 11 by Meike
3,776 questions
4,512 answers
135,924 users