Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hello there, hope you guys are doing fine.

My girlfriend wants to stay in Germany (I am German) and owns an US Passport. Currently she has an au pair job and can stay here until September.

My question is: Can she stay here with having a contract for an part time job? (10-20 hrs)

And for her to work and stay here, she only needs to provide the working contract to the authorities, right?

Thanks in advance!

asked May 2 in Work by Pok94

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Pok94,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with the regulations for aupairs and their perspectives to stay in Germany. I tried to make some research and found this publication by the GGUA quite interesting. It shows a table with the different types of residence permits and the options to change/switch between them. If you look at the residence permit according to section 19c (1) for aupairs, switching to the most of the here listed other residence permits seem to work out. 

They also explain:

"Der Wechsel aus einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis nach § 19c Abs. 1 AufenthG in eine andere Aufenthaltserlaubnis (etwa wegen Ausbildung, Studium, Beschäftigung als Fachkraft) ist auch dann möglich, wenn zuvor eine (zeitlich befristete) Beschäftigung etwa als Au Pair oder im Rahmen eines Freiwilligendienstes ausgeübt wurde."

However, if it comes to a residence permit for works reasons, the authorities might want to make sure that it is "qualified" work (als Fachkraft). I will link two of our experts here. Dear @mbeon-Christine or @manrhei-mbeon, can you give some more information on this?

For the requirements of the different residence permits in detail, please see the sections of the German Residence Act and don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Jun 4 by Meike
3,784 questions
4,524 answers
135,944 users