Dear Wefugees,

Hope that you are all doing well and in good health.


- After completing my 'Ausbildung', i am holding a residence permit under para. §18a

- Living in Germany 5+ years

- Mettmann, NRW

My question is regarding minijob/nebenjob.

I am willing to have a nebenjob along with my main job, for example: during weekend or such.

But the problem is that on my residence permit, it is clearly written that i am 
only allow to have same profession as my Ausbildung.

So, i was just wondering if could actully have a minijob/nebenjob?

-- Do i have to fill a form and apply for the permit each time, which will then go through 
all the processes such as confirmation of 'Agentur für Arbeit'.
-- Or am i eligible to have minijob/nebenjob permit without any restriction?

Thank you very much for your help, support and efforts.

Have a nice day and stay healthy.

asked Sep 4, 2020 in Work by Smile | 2,517 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Dear @Smile

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for your very interesting question. 

I tried to make some research but unfortunately could't find any reliable answer on this. I assume that working in a minijob will be okay as long as you are still doing the qualified job related to your residence permit. However, it might be the safest way to contact the civil servant (Sachbearbeiter/in) responsible for you at the immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) directly to get a clear answer. Usually you find the individual email address on their letters in the upper right corner. 

I will also link two of our experts here. Dear @mbe-on_Zsigó or @mbeon-caritas, Do you have some information on this issue? 

All the best, 


answered Sep 4, 2020 by Meike
0 votes

Hello @Smile, I am a consultant at Caritas and mbeon.
Meike added me to your question and I checked with the Minijobzentrale. They gave the following information:
A Minijob in addition to the full-time job is allowed. However, it is not allowed to earn more than 450,-€ and it is also not allowed to be divided between two mini-jobs.
Unfortunately I could not clarify whether you have to fill out a form to apply for a permit  and would like to give Meike my consent. In this case it is probably best to ask at the immigration office.

Minijobzentrale: 0355 2902-70799


All the best, your mbeon-caritas consultant

answered Sep 4, 2020 by mbeon-caritas
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,198 questions
6,176 answers
139,179 users