Hi dear wefugees team, I would like to have some information about marriage case with a German national and with people who are in student residence permit status?
 If I marry a German national does it effect my student status?
Do i have to transfer my residence permit? What happens after i finish my studies? Will they renew my residence permit based on my marriage without giving me the job search visa for 18 months?
asked Apr 4, 2021 in Legal advice by Jeddy | 500 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Jeddy,

Welcome back to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us again.

As far as I know, there is nothing like an obligation to apply for another residence permit (in this case for the residence permit according to section 28 of the German Residence Act) after the marriage. The immigration office will anyway not simply "change" your residence permit without your prior application. On the other hand, keep in mind that a residence permit as spouse of a German citizen may give you the chance to apply for a permanent residence permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis) already after 3 years. For more information on this follow this link, for instance (describing the process in Berlin though).

I will also link our dear @mbeon-Christine and @mbeon-fardeen here. Do you agree or/and is there anything you would like to add?

In any case, please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Apr 19, 2021 by Meike
Thank you for your response. One of your colleagues had mentioned that I can apply for German passport after two years of living together not three years because I am already on student visa i have been living in Germany since three years so is that correct also?

And after registering my marriage at the Standesamt will they change my student status or will they only extend my residence permit for three years or one year?
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,002 questions
5,965 answers
138,958 users