Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany

I am a Spanish citizen living in Berlin. my girlfriend made a request for asylum in Italy, she has dual nationality (Argentina and Venezuela), and she made the request for asylum with her Argentine passport in Rome (she still has her Venezuelan passport), since she handed over the Argentine passport she has not received any response. She wants to come live with me in Berlin. I would like to know what is the best way for her to come? If she should cancel the asylum request in Italy and ask for asylum in Germany? or We should get married?

thanks for your help
asked Feb 14 in Asylum proceedings by satain_78
edited Feb 15 by satain_78

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Dear @satain_78

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us. 

I am afraid that "cancelling the asylum" in Italy and then apply for asylum in Germany is not really working. German authorities will find out that she applied for asylum in Italy already and ask her, according to the so-called Dublin regulations, to go back to Italy. Of course, if you are able and willing to marry, things will be much easier. If you, as Spanish citizen, enjoy the so-called freedom of movement (EU law) as, for instance, employee in Germany, your spouse will also be allowed to stay with you in Germany (also being allowed to work, receive social benefits etc.). 

I will also link two of our experts here. Dear @mbeon-fardeen and @mbeon-Rukundo, am I right on this and/or can you add further information? 

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions. 

All the best, 


answered Feb 20 by Meike
@Meike, @mbeon-fardeen @mbeon-Rukundo thanks a lot for your reply and help The question I have is whether I should marry her in Italy, or can it be done directly here in Germany? I live here in Berlin and it would be the most comfortable for both of us. she has an Venezuelan passport (without stamp), because the Argentinian one is held by the Asylum office in Italy.
0 votes

Dear @satain_78

to answer your second question, I would like to add that if your girlfriend is allowed to come to Germany with her current asylum status and you want to marry her in Berlin, you should contact the Standesamt (civil registry office) in Berlin and ask them about the possibility of your marriage with her in Berlin and which documents you both need to provide them with for this marriage. 

I hope my answer was useful for you and I'll be very pleased if you contact me again with further questions. I'm a member of the MBEON-staff and I‘ll be glad to guide you over a longer period of time. Mbeon is an online consultancy for migrants via the mbeon-app, which you can install on your smartphone for free. Download it via App Store or Google Play Store. You'll find me In the mbeon-app under my name „München, Herr Noori“ and get confidential one-to-one advice in a safe virtual room where nobody can wiretap messages. Further information: 

Kind Regards 

Fardeen Noori

answered Mar 4 by mbeon-fardeen
3,706 questions
4,453 answers
135,799 users