Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hello, Im holding ausbildung Aufenthaltstitel but have quit 4 weeks ago and will move to Norway to get married. Will the residence permit got invalid automatically after quitting my ausbildung? Also my Aufenthaltstitel is kinda related to my work place (I did my ausbildung in a hotel btw) the address on my residence permit card is with the hotel address and I have just quit my ausbildung there. I still use that permit to come to Norway until I get my residence permit in Norway. Please help me answer. Thank you in advance
asked Oct 6, 2020 in Education by Arsenal49

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Best answer

Dear @Arsenal49

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for your question. 

Actually, I couldn't get which residence/Aufenthalt you are exactly holding. Is it a so-called "Ausbildungsduldung"? This one is connected to your apprenticeship/training and is still actually a "Duldung" (toleration/temporary suspension of the deportation). With a "Duldung" you are in general not allowed to travel or to leave Germany - if you leave, the Duldung expires. Once you quit your training contract, the immigration office will grant you 6 months to look for a new employer to continue your Ausbildung. However, the "Ausbildungsduldung" may lead to a residence permit after you completed the training and you stay with your job/employer (3+2 regulation). 

Wouldn't it be a better idea to get married in Germany? Afterwards you may apply for a residence permit as spouse of a Norwegian citizen. 

I hope this helps and please get back to us if I misunderstood your situation or if you have any further questions. 

All the best, 


answered Oct 7, 2020 by Meike
selected Oct 7, 2020 by Arsenal49
Hello @Meike, I really appreciate your answer. Thank you. I’m indonesian citizen and I’m just holding regular Aufenthaltstitel for Ausbildung called “Aufenthaltserlaubnis” it’s valid for 3 years it says on the residence card. Not Ausbildungsduldung. The fact that I can’t get married in Germany because my fiancé is a norwegian and everything has already been registered in Norway. But I can’t get residence permit from Norway yet, it will take couple months to get it done after the wedding. Also during pandemic it’s hard to finish my Ausbildung in Germany at the same time having life in Norway. so I’m wondering if I can still use my Aufenthaltstitel from Germany legally to stay in Norway during my waiting time for another residence permit. As you mentioned that I will be granted 6 months before it expires for real, that gives me a lit bit of a relief. I really try to avoid having immigration problem in Germany because it will also affect my residence process in Norway. Thanks your answer.
Dear @Arsenal49, Thank you for your reply and clarification. Can you please give us the exact law on which your residence is based? I think only then we will be able to give you any tailored advice. The 6 months were referring to the Ausbildungsduldung. As far as I know you can at least travel for up to 90 days within 180 days. But it is definitely essential to know the exact type of residence permit. Best, Meike

Dear @Meike it says on the residence card “Aufenthaltserlaubnis anmerkungen 17 ABS. 1” I do hope you can enlighten me on this. Thanks a lot in advance. Liebe Grüße

3,847 questions
4,615 answers
136,127 users