Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Greetings, my student visa is going to expire soon along with my passport. As I come from Syria, I can't really risk renewing my passport these days (I'm required to do military service and I haven't been in Syria for more than 11 years). Will the Ausländer Behörde extend my student visa or do I have to apply for a refugee status?
asked May 26, 2020 in Education by Moses

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello @ Moses,

thank you for reaching out to the Wefuegges community and for sharing your important question with us.

As far as I understood, you're really stuck in a dreadful situation, and there are only few options left: Explaining the unreasonableness of addressing to the embassy due to the imminent military service or applying for asylum. (And maybe a third one, please see below).

The first will probably not be accepted, due to the fact that you have once been issued a passport from a Syrian embassy, the latter will be rejected if it isn't well justified, which is quite difficult, as you have to show up with solid evidence that you have been prosecuted by the Syrian regime or why you'll be facing severe prosecution now, after eleven years.
In either case it won't go without a specialised lawyer. To find a lawyer, please address to your local refugee council.

Even if you decide to apply for asylum/refugee status, it is possible to continue your studies under some conditions you can discuss with your lawyer.

There might  be a third (semi-)solution: According to the Swiss Refugee Council, it is possible to apply for a suspension of military service due to studying abroad. You have to renew this application every year. In this case, you will probably be issued a passport for one year (or two, as in the past). This would at least give you the opportunity to play on time.
If you have any further questions, whatever they might be, please feel free to contact me again.

I hope my answers were useful for you and I'll be very pleased if you contact me again with further questions. I'm a member of the mbeon-staff and I‘ll be glad to guide over a longer period of time. mbeon is an online advisory service for migrants via the mbeon-app, which you can download on your smartphone for free. You'll find me in the mbeon-app under my name „München, Frau Müller“ and get confidential one-to-one advice in a safe virtual room where nobody can read messages. For further information please visit

Download for Android:

Download for iOS:

Best regards

answered May 27, 2020 by mbeon-Christine
3,612 questions
4,343 answers
135,510 users