Me (non Eu national) and my wife (Eu national applied for Divorced after living together for four years in Ireland and two years and two months respectively in Germany my wife is Bulgarian National and she applied for divorce in Bulgaria with mutual consent Because she doesn’t want to live here anymore no my solicitor is saying that she have to live with me until did Divorce  and even after they divorce Do you apply to retain  my resident right is that the right information because she doesn’t want to live with me anymore and even if I say to her that live with me until divorce she won’t live with me so my question is ,

>currently I have resident permit for five years can I retain  my resident Right after I divorce with current situation ??

because my solicitor saying it’s very important that she have to live with me until divorce and even after the divorce to retain my residence permit rights again ??
asked Feb 11, 2020 in Legal advice by Parthi dharan | 3,469 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Best answer

you should **** for another lawyer, your current lawyer doesn't seem to know much

Three years of marriage - including at least one year in Germany If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU but married to an EU citizen, your residence status, like that of your spouse, is based on the Freedom of Movement Act / EU (FreizügG / EU) and not the Residence Act (AufenthG). Derived from the spouse, they receive a residence card for a period of five years, followed by a right of permanent residence. A separation initially has no effect on the right of residence. However, divorce from the spouse can have a negative impact on your residence status. You acquire an independent right to stay after a divorce, if 

Your marriage has existed for three years before the initiation of judicial divorce proceedings, of which at least one year in Germany (Section 3 (5) No. 1 FreizügG / EU) or the stay is necessary to avoid particular hardship (Section 3 (5) No. 3 FreizügG / EU) or you have custody of a child of your spouse (Section 3 Paragraph 5 No. 2 FreizügG / EU) or you have a right of access for this child and a court has determined that this can only be done in Germany ( Section 5 No. 4 FreizügG / EU). A different rule applies if the spouse dies or moves away. You acquire an independent right of residence if you have lived with him in Germany for at least one year and are self-employed or if your livelihood is otherwise secured.

Drei Jahre Ehe - davon mindestens ein Jahr in Deutschland

Sind Sie Staatsangehöriger eines Staates außerhalb der EU, jedoch mit einem EU-Bürger verheiratet, so richtet sich Ihr Aufenthaltsstatus ebenso wie die Ihres Ehegatten nach dem Freizügigkeitsgesetz/EU (FreizügG/EU) und nicht nach dem Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG). Sie erhalten abgeleitet von dem Ehegatten eine Aufenthaltskarte für die Dauer von erst einmal fünf Jahren, anschließend ein Daueraufenthaltsrecht.

Eine Trennung hat zunächst einmal keine Auswirkungen auf das Aufenthaltsrecht. Jedoch kann eine Scheidung von dem Ehegatten negative Einflüsse auf Ihren Aufenthaltsstatus haben. Sie erwerben ein eigenständiges Bleiberecht nach einer Scheidung, wenn 

  • Ihre Ehe bis zur Einleitung des gerichtlichen Scheidungsverfahrens drei Jahre bestanden hat, davon mindestens ein Jahr in Deutschland (§ 3 Abs. 5 Nr. 1 FreizügG/EU) oder
  • der Aufenthalt zur Vermeidung einer besonderen Härte erforderlich ist (§ 3 Abs. 5 Nr. 3 FreizügG/EU) oder
  • Sie das Sorgerecht für ein Kind Ihres Ehegatten haben (§ 3 Abs. 5 Nr. 2 FreizügG/EU) oder
  • für dieses Kind ein Umgangsrecht haben und ein Gericht feststellte, dass dieser Umgang nur in Deutschland durchgeführt werden kann (§ Abs. 5 Nr. 4 FreizügG/EU).

Eine andere Regelung gilt bei Tod oder Wegzug des Ehehatten. Sie erwerben ein eigenständiges Bleiberecht, wenn Sie mindestens ein Jahr mit ihm in Deutschland gelebt haben und selber erwerbstätig sind oder wenn Ihr Lebensunterhalt anderweitig gesichert ist.

answered Feb 12, 2020 by Ria
Thank you so much for briefly answer , now my main concern is
Is it important  that she have to reside in Germany until I changed my status into independent resident permit or it doesn’t matter ?? Because she isn’t living in the country anymore and she applied divorced from her native country (bulgaria)
0 votes
It is important that the marriage existed in Germany for 1 year. How long is your residence permit still valid? does the immigration authority know about the divorce? What is your nationality?
answered Feb 14, 2020 by Ria
Yes marriage existed for more then 2 years in Germany  & 4 years in total I’m Indian national but my main question is does my spouse have to live in country during the divorce & after the divorce in order to retain my resident rights ??
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,329 questions
6,333 answers
139,339 users