Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask that I am a pakistan residing in Italy but my wife to be is Iranian but she lives in Germany. My question is that I want to marry her in Germany and we both have legal residence permit, she has the residence permit of germany and I have the residence permit of Italy. My question is what are documents required at registrar office and is there any legalisation required?



Ali Javed
asked Jan 20 in Legal advice by ali.javed

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear ali.javed,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for sharing your situation!

As far as I know, marrying in Germany is not dependent on a certain type of resident status. If you hold a residence permit in Italy, you should be allowed to travel (probably up to 90 days) within the EU. This would allow you to travel to Germany for the marriage. However, please note, that I am not familiar with the Italian system. In Germany, for example, you can not be absent for such a long time, if you receive social money. 

Your partner should consult the local registry office (Standesamt) for details and to make an appointment for the marriage itself, as soon as you clarified everything.

Please have also a look at our blog, which gives more information on the marriage procedure in Germany and required documents.

I hope this helps and all the best,


answered Jan 24 by Meike
3,168 questions
3,944 answers
134,574 users