I got a question regarding the renewal of the asylum. I was granted a residence permit (asylum) in 2017. The duration of the permit was for 3 years. The paper said after 3 years my case would be re-evaluated and the permit can be renewed upon investigation. I suppose these are all standard procedures.

As the expiration of the present permit is imminent, I am wondering whether I need to send the application or BAMF will communicate. I would also like to know, whether the renewal procedure of asylum is exactly the same as the initial one. For example, do people need to face a long interview for the renewal as well?

Thanks in advance.
asked Dec 15, 2019 in Asylum proceedings by MahmudulMunshi

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Dear @MahmudulMunshi

thank you for sharing your question with the Wefugees Community!

I would recommend you to make yourself an appointment at your local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) and apply for the extension of your residence permit. The BAMF is not responsible for that. Here is some information of the immigration office in Berlin as an example for you what to bring etc.:


To answer your question about the re-evaluation:

It is a standard procedure by BAMF that they re-evaluate cases within the next years to see if the protection is still needed. If you received refugee status/protection in 2017, in your case the BAMF has still time to check again your status until the end of 2021. In the re-evaluation they basically check if anything in your country or somehow related to your situation has changed so fundamentally that you are "safe" again and can go back. In German, it is called a "Widerruf". For that you will also most likely get an appointment for an interview, but it shouldn´t be as long as the first one. Still, I would recommend that - if you receive a letter from BAMF regarding a Widerruf anytime - you check in with a free counselling office/centre beforehand to be prepared. But to relieve the stress a little bit for you, they don´t take away the protection in many cases - in 2018 there was only a Widerruf in 1% of the evaluations.

I hope this answer was helpful for you. Please don´t hesitate reaching out to the Wefugees Community if you have further questions!

All the best


Note: Please keep in mind that we can´t provide qualified legal advice via the internet and that any information given can´t replace such legal advice.

answered Dec 16, 2019 by InfoVerbund
Dear Melina,
Thanks for your reply. It's nice to know that the next interview would be with local Ausländeramt and not BAMF. My case is quite 'open and shut' and also well known. So, I am not much worried about the renewal itself. Moreover, I am doing vocational training right now. I reckon that would also be positive for my case.

Thanks again,

Dear @MahmudulMunshi, you are very welcome. I am glad I could help! Just one quick comment: the "next interview" would still be with the BAMF, since they are responsible for re-evaluating your asylum claim. The Ausländerbehörde on the other hand is responsible for extending your residence permit. I am sorry, I know its a very confusing system. 

Still, it could also happen that there won´t be a "next interview", f. e. because BAMF don´t see a reason why to take away your protection. Also, congratulations on your vocational training!

0 votes

Sehr geehrter Herr Mahmudul Munshi,

ich bin ein Migrationsberater für Erwachsene und arbeite in einem Online-Projekt, das MBEon heißt. Ich habe Ihre Frage gelesen und wollte auf sie eine Antwort geben. Es gibt jedoch einige Punkte, die man beachten soll, nämlich,aus welchem Land Sie sind welche Art von Aufenthaltstitel haben Sie, d.h. nach welchem Paragraf?

Jedoch unabhängig von der Art, müssten Sie sechs Wochen vor dem Ablauf einen Antrag auf Verlängerung beim Ausländerbehörde stellen. Aber natüllich ist es keine lange Prozedur, wie bei der Erstentscheidung.

Ich hoffe, dass die Antwort ausreichend ist. Ansonsten kontaktieren Sie mich oder einen anderen Mitarbeiter/andere Mitarbeiterin von mir online per mbeon App. Diese können Sie in App Store oder Google Play herunterladen. Hier ist eine Link, die Ihnen zur Hilfe dienen kann: https://www.mbeon.de/home/

Ich wünsche Ihnen alles Gute.

Viele Grüße

Béci Zsigó

answered Dec 16, 2019 by mbe-on_Zsigó
PS: Und ich wollte, sozusagen, die erste Antwort nicht "verbessern". Es ist so passiert, dass ich die nicht gemerkt habe, als ich mit dem Antworten begann.
Vielen Dank für Ihre Antwort und die Mitteilung über den Zeitrahmen. Mir wurde gemäß Absatz 25.1 der Flüchtlingsstatus zuerkannt. Ich komme aus Bangladesch. Obwohl Bangladesch allgemein als sicheres Land angesehen wird, ist mein Problem bekannt, und ich glaube, dass der Nachweis meiner Gefahren kein Problem wäre.

Vielen Dank für die Antwort.

Sehr geehrter Arnab,

gern geschehen. Also, Sie können einfach zum Ausländerbehörde gehen und den Antrag stellen. Sollten Sie mit dem Ausfüllen nicht klar kommen oder Schwierigkeiten haben, dann könnten Sie sich an eine MBE-Stelle vor Ort wenden. Die Menschen sind sehr hilfsbereit.

Ansonsten wünsche ich Ihnen alles Gute und  und gesegnete Feiertage.

Viele Grüße

B. Zsigó
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,541 questions
5,443 answers
137,902 users