Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
My parents live in Germany. They've lived there for about a decade and are citizens of Germany. I finally moved from Nigeria to join them 2yrs ago. But I'm struggling to go to the University due to the language barrier. I'm gonna officially become a German citizen  in 3yrs(I'll get the recidence permit). Like my mom said, becoming a German citizen will enable me to live wherever I want. I was suggesting to my mom that she sends me to Canada to study as an intl student. But the question is, I don't know if I'm allowed to study abroad without having the German residence permit. Cuz I'll come back after I finish my studying. Will they accept me? I thought I would go straight to the UNI when I was coming to Germany since I have finished my secondary school and I have the result. But in Germany they said I should go to Gymnasium to acquire Abitur. I tried and failed twice due to German language. I'm stuck rn and wanna go the UNI
asked Nov 14, 2019 in Legal advice by Victor woha
Dear Victor woha,

Thank you for reaching out to the Wefugees Community!

I have not yet fully understood, what exactly your legal status is right now. Maybe you want to explain a bit more in detail.
In general, if you do not hold a valid residence permit in Germany, but for example a "Duldung", you are not allowed to re-enter the country after you left.

Please do not hesitate to get back to us if you want to discuss your situation more.

All the best,

My mom moved to Germany from Africa for treatment bcos she had cancer. I had to live with my grandma. My mom then decided to live there as a refugee at first, now she's a complete German citizen since she's been given the German citizenship passport. She then started working on bringing me to join her. Finally it worked and I moved to join her in October 2016. I'm legally allowed to stay in Germany with my mom. I still need the German citizenship passport which they said I'll receive in 2 or 3 yrs time. Though now I'm struggling with German language and can't obtain the Abitur. They said I'll have to do a 2 year Ausbildung and then do the Abitur (which takes like 2 yrs to get) before I can enter the university. Bear in mind that I'd already finished secondary school before moving to Germany. So I thought I was gonna go straight to the university in Germany with my result. Now with  2 yrs of Ausbildung + 2 years of Abitur = 4 yrs before I can go to the University. I'm 19 now and don't wanna wait too long before going to the university. And if I fail the Abitur due to the language barrier, that will be the end. So I'm thinking of going to the UK or Canada(where I can study in English) to school as an intl student

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

what conditions you must fulfil to enter Canada or UK for studying, you must take information from the relevant authorities in these countries. Check the Websites of their embassies, of the universities there, write to the universities, which are interesting for you. Take in mind that the education in these countries is mostly expensive and in Germany it costs almost nothing. Perhaps you will be able to have a stipendium.

As to Germany, as a person with any kind of residence permit (inclusive unlimited "Niederlassungserlaubnis") you can't leave the country for more that 180 days without losing your permit automatically. You must make an application in your Ausländerbehörde before 180 days expire (better to make it before you leave Germany), explain why you must stay longer and get an official permision, only then you will keep your status.
answered Nov 17, 2019 by Alla_fka
3,490 questions
4,241 answers
135,208 users