Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany

I want to request asylum with my girlfriend. My girlfriend has sufficient reasons for make accept her asylum application but I don't have any reason for request asylum. I know that,  if her application is accepted, she can invite me to germany in accord with the right to familiy reunification. But i want to come with her, to be together on her hard times and her hard long journey to Germany.

Being together without any official marriage document, is it enough for stay with her in refugee camp while her asylum application is in progress and can i be refugee like her with no problems? Or i have to have an official marriage certificate?

Best Regards
asked Oct 22, 2019 in Asylum proceedings by Asylumseeker

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote

Dear @Asylumseeker

thank you for sharing your question with the Wefugees Community!

Regarding the first part of your message: If your girlfriend receives a refugee status she can indeed bring close family members such as her husband to Germany through family reunification. But this only applies if you are already married. She can´t bring you to Germany via family reunification if you are not married. Without being married it can be very hard to bring a boyfriend to Germany. Also note that there is also the possibility that your girlfriend might not be granted asylum/refugee status but a "lesser" status. If this happens family reunification might not be possible at all. So there is a risk. 

Regarding the second part of your message: If you would come together to Germany to apply for asylum there is the possibility that the two of you will be distributed to different cities within Germany. To make sure you stay together during the asylum process - again - it would be very helpful if you would be married already.

I hope this answer was helpful for you. I am sorry I couldn´t give you any good news. Maybe someone else of the Wefugee Community has some helpful thoughts on this topic.

All the best


Note: Please keep in mind that we can´t provide qualified legal advice via the internet and that any information given can´t replace such legal advice.

answered Oct 24, 2019 by InfoVerbund
0 votes
Thank you for your interest Mellina

What about if i take the  certificate of no impediment of marriage and marry with her in refugee camp? Is it possible while our asylum is in progress? Will you suggest this method or it is still too risky and shall i marry with her in homecountry?

Best Regards
answered Oct 24, 2019 by Asylumseeker

Dear @Asylumseeker,

you mean that you want to get married in Germany after you arrive?

Of course you are legally allowed to marry. It´s just possible that the two of you already got distributed all over Germany which would make the process of getting married very complicated because in the first months of your stay in Germany you are not allowed to leave the city you are distributed to without a permission. So this would probably add a lot of stress and complication to the process of getting married. But if for example getting married in your home country is not possible for you or too dangerous etc. you can for sure get married in Germany - it could just take a while. And as you said, if you don´t have any own reasons to stay in Germany there is the risk that you get sent back to your home country before you were able to get married.

For the case that you still decide to get married in Germany or that it is your only possibility please note that besides from the certificate of no impediment you in general also need a passport and your birth certificate. The office responsible for getting married ("Standesamt") can also ask you for more documents but the ones above are the most important ones.

All the best

Thank you so much for providing the valueable information.
3,843 questions
4,607 answers
136,114 users