I'm a refugee in asylum procedure in Netherlands. My girlfriend is german and eight months pregnant for me. Can I join her in germany. What should I do and what documents do I need.
asked Jul 10, 2019 in Asylum proceedings by Marr88 | 372 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Marr88

Thank you for sharing your question with the Wefugee Community and sorry for the rather late reply! 

I am not familiar with rules and regulations in the Netherlands, but as you are still in the asylum procedure, I am afraid that you will not be allowed to travel or leave the country in that period. In order to qualify for a family unification according to the Dublin procedure, you must have lived in that family unit already in your home country. Unfortunately, this is practical not even possible with an unborn child. As far as I understand the situation, you will need to apply for a family reunification visa at the German embassy. But I am not a lawyer, and I would definitely recommend you to seek legal advice in the Netherlands. I am sure you will find migration counselling centres which offer free services. However, I would suggest that you recognize the paternity as soon as possible. And as you are currently not able to travel to Germany, you and your girlfriend would need to do that procedure in the Netherlands. 

I wish you all the best for you and your family. 

Kind regards, 


answered Aug 2, 2019 by Meike
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,010 questions
5,975 answers
138,968 users