Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Dear Wefugees community,

Thank you very much for all the informative questions/answers. I would greatly appreciate your help with my specific case if possible.

I have lived in Germany for 3 years and 8 months (master student then intern then jobseeker then professional engineer).
After that I left Germany and lived in the UK for 6 and a half years (3 and a half years as a PhD student (engineering) then 3 years as a refugee which is my current status).

I have a Master's degree from a German university and a level B1 in German.
I have a PhD from a British university and fluent in English.

The total of my stay in the EU is just short of 10 years but split between two member states so as you see it is not so simple.

Am I allowed to work in Germany and do I qualify for a permanent residence permit there if so?

Best wishes,
asked Jan 23, 2019 in Legal advice by Oni4b

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

Dear @Oni4b,

Welcome to the Wefugees community and thank you for contributing to our interactive platform with your question!

1. If you want to work in Germany, you have to fulfill certain requirements in order to move back to Germany and work. Please have a look at Thorgen's answer from this thread here: Can a refugee with Greek protection receive a German work/residence permit if they have been offered a job?

Also have a look at this Berlin Service website on residence permits for the purpose of employment:

Here is more information on different kinds of employment visa:

2. In order to apply for a permanent residence permit ("Niederlassungserlaubnis"), you need to have lived in Germany for at least 5 years. Here is some more information: How long do I have to be married to my wife until I can apply for a permanent residence permit in Germany?

And this website, "Make it in Germany", lists the general requirements:

I hope this information helps! Feel free to reach out to the community again if you have any more questions.

Kind regards and Good Luck,


answered Jan 24, 2019 by Isa
Hi Isa,

Thank you so much for the prompt answer!
I have read the aforementioned questions and their answers and have just had a look at the web page Make it in Germany. It all seems straight forward except I am still unsure about one thing:

The passport I hold is a British travel document based on my refugee status. It allows me to enter Germany without a visa but I am not sure if it is something the German authorities accept when I apply for a work and/or residence permit.

If that is sorted and everything else like the job offer, rent contract, registration certificate... then I understand that my case applies to one or more of the options (according to Make it in Germany):
- Graduates of German universities: I would need 2 years to be eligible for a permanent residence permit
- Blue Card: I have a proof of the German language level B1 which means I would need 21 months to be eligible for a permanent residence permit
- Highly qualified professionals: if I am eligible to this category, then I could apply for a permanent residence permit immediately.

Does that make sense to you? Do you think there is anything I misunderstood?

Best wishes,
3,970 questions
4,736 answers
136,358 users