I am a stateless person . I was born in 1985 in Turkey. In 1986 I lost my greek citizenship based on political issues. Long story short I applied to Turkish citizenship year ago still waiting for the result. My question is I have valid us visa also I use Alien travel document I traveled US last 10 years many times.I have US citizen girlfriend and we are lookin forward to get marry. Would I have any problems If I marry with my US citizen girlfriend?
asked Jan 23, 2019 in Legal advice by greekturkish

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @greekturkish,

Welcome to our interactive platform and thank you for contributing to it with your question!

There is a "U.S. Department of State" website about statelessness in general, stating it is impossible for those who are stateless to access many public "activities" - marriage included - as no legal protection from a state applies. 

In order to get married, a passport is a core requirement. That means it is necessary to see if you will be granted Turkish citizenship. If you do, marrying should not be a problem. There is a visa that allows you to bring your fiance to the U.S. to get married, have a look here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-a-spouse-or-fiance-of-a-us-citizen.html

Also, here is a website that explains marriage laws in the U.S. - bear in mind that they change depending on which state you are in: 

"Because state marriage laws in this area have been changing rapidly — many states have recently eliminated blood tests and or physical exams. You should check with your county marriage license bureau office, county clerk’s, city clerk’s, or town clerk’s office before making any wedding or travel plans."

Source: https://www.usmarriagelaws.com/

I hope these sources help. Feel free to reach out to us again if you have any more questions!

All the best,


answered Jan 23, 2019 by Isa
Thanks for your answer. But we are not talking about 2 stateless people . One of them American other one is stateless. I have passport and permanent ID to live and work in Turkey. I have a US Visa also. I wish I could stay stateless. Only reason I need to do paperwork to live with my girlfriend. I need someone has knowledge about my situation. My question is if it is possible to marry with a us citizen as a stateless person in USA. Thank you.
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,441 questions
5,324 answers
137,548 users