Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
I’m Syrian refuge in Germany and I have the blue german passport. I’m student and I work in a bar as well. My American girlfriend would like to invite to visit the states so it possible at all to get a tourist visa for Syrian to visit the states ? One more thing my girlfriend is going to send me an invitation letter to make my visa application stronger.
asked Oct 3, 2018 in Legal advice by Raymond

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Raymond

thank you for your question in our vibrant community. 

As for your question here is what I fiund out: 

1. The Refugee Travel Document is a substitute for the passport of the state from which you have fled, in other words, where you previously had your legal residence. In Article 28 of the Geneva Convention on Refugees, all Contracting States are obliged to issue a travel document for recognised refugees. That is why this travel document is called the Convention Passport. In Germany, many call it a Blue Passport („Blauer Pass”) because of its colour, but it is not blue in all the countries which joined the convention.

2. Normally, with your blue passport and a visa, you can travel freely in all countries, except for the state that has persecuted you („Verfolgerstaat“) or your country of origin. The member states of the Schengen zone and the members of the European Council which have signed the European Convention on Abolition of the Compulsary Visas for Refugees on 20 April 1959, do not require a visafrom recognised refugees and asylum seekers with a blue passport.

3. The invitation letter of your girlfriend will help you with the applicatrion and also the fact that you are working in Germany. 

4. For the Visa procedure please visit:

I hope we could assist you, if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to use the community. 

Best regards, 


answered Oct 4, 2018 by Nilab
3,351 questions
4,124 answers
134,938 users