I am from Bangladesh. I have been living in Germany with student status from August 2011 to 2014, refugee applicant status from 2014 to 2016 and Duldung status since 2016. From 2011 to 2014 I was a student in a university in Germany but I did not finish my studies. After leaving the university, I applied for asylum. And I ended up getting Duldung to my frustration. I realised my mistake of leaving the university and I decided to go back to the same university to finish the same degree from where I had left. I rejoined the university in February 2018. On my duldung, it's written that I am allowed to study. I do not get any sort of government support and I support myself from my savings and from the money sent to me by my parents. I do not like getting support from the government.

I have two questions:

1). Is it possible to shift to Aufenthantstitel from Duldung now?  

2). Considering my situation, When can I apply for citizenship in Germany?
asked Apr 30, 2018 in Legal advice by hether | 1,012 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello @hether

Welcome to our community and thank you for your question.

Please check out the following thread here on Wefugees to find extensive information on these two questions:


In a nutshell, you have to stay in Germany for 8 years with Duldung to get a residence permit. It will take another 8 years afterwards to get the German citizenship.

I hope this answer was helpful to you.

Best regards,


answered Apr 30, 2018 by Thor
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,917 questions
5,887 answers
138,832 users