Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany

My question is that can I change the accommodation in refugee status ? Is there any thing relation for refugee accommodation?
asked Mar 4, 2018 in Home & Living by Zichako

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello @Zichako

Nice to hear from you again.

There are indeed rules for asylum seekers and their accomodation. When you apply for asylum authorities send you to a so-called "Erstaufnahmeeinrichtung". You are obliged to live there for at least 6 weeks and up to a maximum of 6 months. After this period of time you are allowed to move into a room/flat on your own. If it fits certain criteria, Jobcenter will pay the rent for you. If you rely on social benefits (ALG-II) you have a so-called "Wohnsitzauflage". It means that you are not allowed to leave a certain area/city, but you are free to move within its boundaries.

Best regards,


answered Mar 5, 2018 by Thor
Hello Mr Thor, does this law apply still? Do they allow us to move out from refugee camp after six months and choose our own flat and Jobcenter pays the rent? Is it after being recognized as a refugee or can we still do this while our case is on process ?
4,032 questions
4,801 answers
136,504 users