Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany
Apologies if its not the right forum.

Me and My fiancee we are both Indian citizens. I am working in Ireland and she is working in Germany. We would like to get married in Denmark in the near future.

I want to join my fiance in Germany after our wedding. My question is do my fiance need to register the marriage in Germany first and then i can apply for family reunion visa. or i can apply for family reunion visa with marriage certificate from Denmark, without my fiance registering with the German authorities.

Family reunion visa will be applied from Ireland as I am currently working here.

Thank you
asked Feb 22, 2018 in Legal advice by Sammy

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Hello @Sammy

Welcome to our community and thank you for your question.

Registering your marriage at German registry office (Standesamt) is not necessary and not possible for you.

The Danish marriage certificate should be sufficient. In general German authorities accept foreign certificates of marriage as long as there are no reasons to declare the marriage null and void (for example if one of the spouses was already married at the time of the wedding or if one of the spouses was underage etc.).

Only if at least one of the spouses is German, it’s possible for them to register their marriage at Standesamt. In your case, every German authority will have to check/decide on its own whether your certificate of marriage is valid or not.

Source (German language):

Best regards,
answered Feb 26, 2018 by Thor
3,621 questions
4,347 answers
135,532 users