Here you can ask, answer and find questions surrounding the topic: arriving in Germany

My name is Matt i am from Greece and close to a year now i have relationship with a girl who is from Venezuela and she lives in Spain and we want to marry.The problem for her is that she is an political asylum seeker and the only document she has is only her passport.She does not have any other document because when she left from Venezuela the army take her everything and her situation turns into stateless.Is there any way to marry with her in Spain or any other ways like invitation here in Greece to marry here?
asked Oct 20, 2017 in Legal advice by Matt

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+2 votes
Hello @Matt and welcome to our community!

If the asylum process of your girlfriend ends with a positive result she will get a passport that allows her to travel. She can come to Greece with it in order to get married to you. Probably there are rules that enable her to get a residence permit for Greece through this marriage - at least we got a law like that in Germany. Maybe you can do some research about that on your own.

In order to get married you usually need a number of documents. At least your girlfriend got a passport, but for example in Germany you need a certificate of birth or a certificate of no impediment amongst others. This might be the biggest obstacle in this case. It’s probably best to talk to registry offices in Greece to find out what you need to do to get married - they presumably know best.

Marriage in Spain seems to involve a lot of bureaucracy. And if both of the spouses are not Spanish citizens, at least one them must have lived there legally for a minimum of 2 years. I don’t know how long your girlfriend has been in Spain now and if the time she spend there counts as “legal residence” because she is an asylum seeker without a residence permit. Anyways, there is also a couple of other things to keep in mind. Check out the following link for further information:

Best regards,
answered Oct 24, 2017 by Thor
Thanks for this question and answer! I'm going through a similar thing at the moment and wondered if you had any luck Matt?
It seems to be possible to marry in Spain without one of you being resident, as long as one of you is an EU citizen. If you like I can share everything I have with you that I've found out, although i know it's a while since your question.
I am facing the problem that my Iraqi fiancée in Spain can't get the documents he needs. Apparently there are many ways around this in Spain though. I hope so!
3,887 questions
4,648 answers
136,196 users