Hello I am an asylum seeker in germany and my girlfriend is from UK she has been in germany 2 times to visit me and now we are planning getting married to live together in her country what are the procedure and requirement need for it?
asked May 1, 2017 in Legal advice by Eddyjays | 708 views
Hey Eddyjays, I moved your question to the "legal advice" section ;)
Thanks for the reply I engaged my girlfriend on the 2nd of april and we are thinking getting married here in germany. What about we get married in germany what will be the requirements to relocate to UK?
Hello Eddyjays and congratulations on your engagement!

The requirements will basically be the same. You marry in Germany, than you apply for the "family of a settled person" visa in order to live with her in the UK. The only difference to the procedure that I summarized in my post below is that you don't have to marry in the UK within 6 months (because you already did it in Germany). Since German marriages are recognized in the UK there should not be any problems with that.

I hope this answers your question. If anything remained unclear feel free to ask again!

Best regards,
Okay can I have your contact number so I can call you and ask you more question about it so I can understand more better
I would prefer to keep the discussion here on the wefugees platform. That way other members of the community can participate and add information that I missed out.

And I just want to clarify that I am not an expert on marriage issues and can't give one-on-one counseling. I am just doing my research and share the insights I gained from that.

If you are having problems understanding the information given here or on the linked websites I would suggest that your fiancé helps you with that.

Best, Thorgen
Okay thanks
bro eddy I'm in same situation with you now.. how  did yours went? hope it went well? pls can you update me here bro or drop your contact.. I'm a Nigerian also like you.. this is my contact 015214936881 thank you

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Hello Eddyjays,

welcome to our community!

There is a very useful website provided by the government of the UK that gives detailed information about how to get a residence permit by marrying a UK citizen. You can find it here:


You can click on the headlines to get a summary of the steps you and your girlfriend need to take in order to reach your goals.

I will list you some of the most important things you need to keep in mind here:

- the visa you need is called "family of a settled person" visa.
- in order to apply for it you have to be outside of the UK
- you will have to pay a fee (~1400 £)
- both of you have to be over 18
- you will have to prove that you have at least 18.600 £ per year
- if you are not in a relationship with your girlfriend for at least 2 years, you have to be engaged with her in order to apply for this visa --> then you will have to marry her within 6 months after arriving in the UK
- you will have to prove that your knowledge of the English language is A1 or higher (you need a certificate for that)

Please read through the information given on the website linked above carefully. The bullet points I wrote down are just a brief overview.

If you understood everything and gathered all the required documents and certificates, you can apply for the visa on this platform:


I hope this information is helpful for you. If any further questions occur, feel free ask the community!

I will also link @Marcel and @Steven (our great lawyers here on the platform) that might have some additional information for you concerning the legal aspects of your plan.

Best regards,
answered May 2, 2017 by Thor
+1 vote
Hello  Eddyjays,

you can find condensed information about marriages and civil partnerships in the UK on gov.uk: ****://tinyurl.***/lzn9978
Especially the links of section 'Elsewhere on GOV.UK' can be useful.

Best regards
answered May 2, 2017 by Jan
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
4,628 questions
5,527 answers
138,163 users