Good Everyone, i have been married to a German for almost 7 years now and we don’t have kids together. But lately we have been having so much trouble and we keep trying to work things out but it’s not working… And i think we might be getting a divorce soon so i want to know if this is going to affect the Niederlassung Erlaubnis? 

asked Apr 2 in Legal advice by Ratzel | 215 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

Dear @Ratzel,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for your question.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your difficulties and I hope that you will still be able to manage your troubles.

In any case, a "Niederlassungserlaubnis" is a permanent residence permit and it won't be affected by a divorce. So you would not need to worry about this aspect.

Even with a (non-permanent) residence permit as spouse of a German (or foreigner with a residence permit), people may apply for an independent residence permit (in case of a divorce, for instance) - one requirement is that you (usually) must have been married in Germany for at least three years.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.

All the best,


answered Apr 4 by Meike

thank you for clarifying this for me i really appreciate it.

5,200 questions
6,176 answers
139,183 users