asked Apr 2 in Asylum proceedings by Evans2020 | 251 views

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Dear @Evans2020,

Welcome to the Wefugees Community and thank you for reaching out to us.

This very important question as well as the order of the required steps should definitely be discussed with a lawyer or an experienced counselling office! Every case is different and needs to be assessed individually. Here on this public platform we can just deal with general questions (we are no lawyers either). I hope you understand.

You may use this search engine to find a counselling office close-by.

However, it will be essential that you recognise the paternity officially (if you haven't done it already).

Please also don't hesitate to get back to us with further (maybe less case-by-case level) questions.

All the best,


answered Apr 4 by Meike

Hi @Evans2020

I'd just like to add to my colleague's answer. It is definitely a good idea to get some specialised advice on this. But I wanted to let you know that you are not required to cancel the asylum process. To be entitled to a residence permit it is generally required to both do the reconigtion of paternity 'Vaterschaftsanerkennung' and declaration of shraed custody 'Sorgerechtserklärung'. 

You would then be entitled to a resident permit according to paragraph 28, section 1, number 3 of the immigration law (Aufenthaltsgesetz): 


Paragraph 10 of the immigration law covers if and when it is possible to receive a residence permit while an asylum process is ongoing: 


In section 1 it states that it is possible in cases of 'legal entitlement'. Being a parent of German child is such a legal entitlement. 

An example of when it would not work is, for example, if an asylum seeker started studying at university and then asked for a residence permit as a student while continuing the asylum process. This would not be possible as there is not a legal entitlement to a residence permit for studies. 

You can get your residence permit and await the outcome of the asylum case. But it is a complicated area and so certainly good to get some additional advice in person specific to your case. Please note the links to the legal texts are in English via online translation. 



All formalities have been met, unverteilung was granted and living with my family since November, my lawyer told me to apply for a resistance permit due to my 9months old child said it will take 3 months to be process. My aufenthaltgestatung was extended until August, with Arbeitserlaubnis. The Ausländerbehörde last week sent me an email and a form to sign if I want to cancel my asylum case since I requested for a residence permit cater for my child, if there would not be any problem,then I will sign it,since my lawyer has not responded to me and your answers helps. Thank you very much for your help and support.

Best regards
Thank you so much for adding these information! Very helpful, dear @mbeon-Éanna!
mbeon App

Confidential one-on-one consultations via App

For confidential one-on-one consultations in a secure virtual space, we work with mbeon. You can download the mbeon app free of charge from the App Store or Google Play Store and have private conversations with mbeon consultants there:

Link for iPhone
Link for Android

Welcome to Wefugees, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
5,200 questions
6,176 answers
139,183 users